Friday, April 8, 2022

Usage tip: Insight vs. incite

Here's another one I've seen popping up in workplace messages recently.

Incite is a verb. It means to encourage, prompt, or instigate, especially violent or chaotic events. 

Insight is a noun. It refers to knowledge, understanding, or intuition, especially that achieved through personal experience or involvement with a group or concept.

Incorrect:

  • I am writing an article about [group], and I wanted to get your incite since I know you have worked closely with them before.
  • Can you provide any incite into this issue?
  • He didn't intend to insight violence with his words.

Correct:

  • Freedom of speech generally does not apply to speech that incites violence. 
  • When people are stressed and desperate, it doesn't take much to incite a riot.
  • I've lived in New England most of my life, so I can provide some insight into the regional culture.
  • Many people respect spiritual leaders when they can provide deep insight into the human condition.

No comments: